Sunday, January 20, 2013

It REALLY is a small world...

There are no pictures this time, but I just had to blog about this while it was fresh in my mind.

Mike and I went out yesterday to try and find a pretty wooden screen/room divider.  We were at this small store talking to this young man who was asking a lot of questions about the US.  (Most of the time this is a sales technique used to entrust you.)  Anyway, he asked if people from the US had different accents.  We said yes, depending on where one lives.  He said he asked because he was having a hard time understanding ME!  Okay, I may have a slight southern accent, but is it THAT bad??  It must be, because he is the second Indian to tell me that. 

Then he says,  "You sound like that actress. What's her name? Sandra Bullock. You know, from the Blind Side."  Yes, I know several of you are laughing uncontrollably right now.  Great! So I sound like Sandra Bullock acting as Leigh Anne Tuohy???  Well, she did win an Oscar so I guess it's a compliment?  

Here is the small world part of this story.  We are from Memphis, TN.  Our children went to the same school as Michael Oher and and the Tuohy kids.  Michael and Collins were a few years ahead of our oldest son and "S.J." was in our youngest son's class.  

Who would have imagined I would be standing in a small store in Hyderabad, India talking about the Tuohy family from Memphis, TN?

The young muslim man we were talking to said it was one of his favorite movies...even quoted the Bible verse on the school:

"With men, this is impossible; but with God, all things are possible."  Matthew 19:26

Mike and I don't believe in coincidences.  This movie opened up a dialogue with this young man so we could share a little about our faith with him.  I will see him again later this week when he delivers the screen. Maybe we can talk more.  


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great story! Glad to see you are "readjusting" to India after the Christmas holiday. January is always so hard for me :)