Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Soul of India



I should have several more blog posts coming soon. Lots of new subject matter. We just got back from 6 days out in the villages of India.  I'm not going to lie.  I didn't think I could do 6 days, but I did and enjoyed every minute of it.  Well, maybe not EVERY minute, but you get the idea.  


First, I should define what exactly a village is.  Hyderabad is a city.  Estimates vary (like everything else in India), but it has around 8 million people. In contrast, villages are smaller than cities.  The size of these villages vary considerably, but some "villages" have a million people in them. 

Ghandi once said, "The soul of India lives in its villages."  Most of India's 1.2 billion population live in villages.  Each village has its leaders.  Just like anywhere, these leaders can be good or bad.  But, "bad" in India is usually really bad. Think mafia. Fortunately, we have only encountered good ones.  If the leader of a village likes you, then you pretty much have free reign. Out of respect, we try to meet at least one of the leaders when we go to a new village. They appreciate it and are always very gracious. In fact, we have been given unbelievable access to a lot of these villages. 

We had several men from the US come over and go out with us.  It was an awesome time!  I experienced several "firsts" on this trip that I want to tell you about. More to come….




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Allison, I can't wait to hear more about your visits into the village. I thinks it's great that you are getting the chance to see the country.

I'm sure it's not easy! But what an amazing experience